Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday Bike Ride

Today I am feeling awesome! I had a long weekend at work, my 12 hour shifts became 16 hour shifts and so I did not get to run/walk like I had hoped. When today rolled around I decided I needed to exercise or feel a failure.

Fortunately the wife knew this and suggested I go take a bike ride. My goal was 10 miles. But I ended up going 15 1/2 miles instead.

The first couple miles felt crappy. But I pushed through and the rest of the ride felt really comfortable! I even pedaled my way to a whole nother town! (village...hamlet really. But it had a green sign with white lettering stating the name, so I'm counting it)

The entire ride out to the little town was hilly, and it seemed like every hill I climbed only dropped back down about half of what I had just climbed. This was reflected in my average speed too. When I turned around I had covered about 6 1/2 miles and been out for 45 minutes. But I got my revenge on the return trip, as the downhill stretches lasted longer than the ups. I was also feeling nice and warmed up, so I had many runs where I was in the top gear spinning comfortably down the slopes! My little computer said I was going around 20 - 25 MPH on these, but I felt much faster.

I took a couple of laps on the frontage road leading to our neighborhood to push my miles up over 15, and finished the ride in 1:13:15. Not too bad for my fourth time out on the bike! And today gives me a great baseline for the triathlon, as the bike portion is 15 miles.

Right now I am very confident that the swim and bike will go fine. Now I just have to get my endurance up for the run! I was most definitely not ready to run a 5K after climbing off the bike today. But I did feel good, and felt like I even had some energy left over. So. An excellent ride today! And a good thing too, there's only 40 days until the triathlon!

More Later

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Just want you to know... I got out of breath just READING your last 3 posts!! I am so proud of you! You have the BEST attitude of anyone I know. Keep up the good work and hang on to the attitude! Love you!

Jen said...

Isn't the feeling of completing a workout AWESOME?! I remember writing once, back when I wrote, that you will never regret a workout, but you will always regret missing one.

Heh. My life? Full o' regrets! Thanks for the inspiration...maybe a turnaround is in my future!

John said...

Jen,
I have that quote from you (one like it anyway) on my workout calendar for inspiration! Wanna do a tri with me next year? :)