Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Skinny Wednesday is Tomorrow

I've never been big into Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, that whole scene.  Not that I have anything against those who do celebrate, of course.  My brother and his family seem to do it up right.  But those just weren't traditions I grew up with.  The Wife didn't either, although she did acquire a taste for giving things up for Lent some time ago.

Today she asked me what I'd be giving up tomorrow.  It got me to thinking.  What could I give up?

Now, I'm no saint.  But there isn't much for me to actually give up.  Some people give up swearing, but with two kiddos under six, I don't have the opportunity to swear much anyway.  Stop drinking or smoking?  I don't do those.  What about caffeine?  Some people give up pop.  I had a root beer a couple weeks ago.  Nothing carbonated since.

Finally it dawned on me.  We've been fighting the crud that's been going around here for the past few weeks.  This has led to an extreme case of frustration with not being able to do much of anything but cough, wipe noses, administer medications, and cough some more.  So for Lent tomorrow I'm giving up sitting around and not doing anything.  Tonight I am putting together a list of forty projects.  Each should only take an hour or two.  Some more complicated ones, like working on stained glass or knives, will be timed portions.  But I am going to get up, get showered and DO SOMETHING every day for forty days.  My days will also include some sort of physical fitness, since I've got 89 days until the Pigman Triathlon, my first tri this season.

So... gotta go.  I've got lots to plan tonight.  And starting tomorrow, I'm giving up living by default because I don't feel good.  Time to get some stuff done!  Exercise and projects!  I'll bet I'll be losing weight along the way, too.  So Skinny Wednesday starts in the morning.  I'll let you know how it goes.

More Later

No comments: