Saturday, February 19, 2011

Pinewood Derby

The Boyo had his first ever Pinewood Derby today!  It is much different these days than it was when I raced my little cars lo those many years ago.  The track is aluminum and eight lanes instead of wood and four lanes.  There is high tech computer software to track heats and races and on and on and on...

His car raced eight times against other cars from the pack.  He got third place three times, second place three times and won two of his heats!  Best of all he was a gracious winner and a gracious loser.  Always cheering for his car, but sincerely congratulating the guys who beat him.  Not many other kids did that.  And none were as enthusiastic about their car.  I was a very proud Daddy.

As for building the car... We worked as a team.  I cut the parts and did some shaping, then he glued it up, sanded it and painted most of it.  I did the eyes and smile at his request.  We both worked on the wheels and he even did most of the wheel installation.  He did a great job!  So here is his car... Lightning McQueen!




It was a bit of a challenge, but I got off lucky.  His first design choice was the dragon from 'How to Tame Your Dragon'.  I love that kid, he is such a good sport!

More Later

No comments: