Sunday, January 11, 2009

I've Been Busy Elsewhere

I had the first eleven days of the year off, and I have to say, it was great! I spent much time getting caught up on projects that I've been neglecting for too long, and thinking through a great many things about life.

I've been spending time in the shop, probably more in the last week than I've been able to in the last six months. And you know what? I really like building things. Really, really a lot. I like taking some raw materials and turning them into an awesome knife, or a beautiful stained glass piece, or (my latest experiment) a little bow and arrow set for the Boyo. Yes, he's a bit young for weapons, but he's on a Robin Hood kick, and ever since his cousin got a bow and arrow at the Rendezvous that we went to, he's been after me for a bow and arrow. And after my archery class, I thought it would be fun to teach him to shoot this spring.

But I digress.

I like the challenge that comes with creating. I love the time I spend in the shop. That's what I really like doing.

The Wife put forth a challenge for me. She challenged me to "make some money" with the stuff I make in the shop. I've decided to take her up on the challenge. So one of my resolutions for this new year is to sell something each month. The rules though ('cause I'm all about the rules) say that I have to sell it for a profit. So if I spend $80 on materials for a knife, it has to sell for more than that. I have a pretty good system for estimating what glass would cost, or a wood project, or metal, or whatever. So I'm going to go for it. Wish me luck.

Well, my break time is over. I'm staying up late tonight to get turned around for my night shifts as a paramedic. I'm spending the time finishing up the last knife for a guy at work. He gave me materials ages ago to build knives for him and his two sons, and I'm finally getting around to the last one. I'll post some pictures of them when they're finished. Until then...

More Later

1 comment:

Grammy said...

I do wish you "GOOD LUCK" I'm glad you enjoy your shop experiences so much... a productive hobby... and if you can actually make money too...GREAT!!
BE CAREFUL in this weather... doesn't look good for the near future.