Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Seeds Are Started

Or were started a few days ago on the 28th. I couldn't find my cable to download pictures until today, but here they are.


The Boyo was a great helper, of course. Together we filled the little Cow Pots with my special dirt mix, then I labeled the Popsicle sticks and he helped me put those in. Then we planted the seeds and watered them and moved them to a warm spot to germinate.



We've got 40 peppers planted and 24 tomatoes. Each pot gets two seeds (one for a back up) and I'll weed them out as they sprout. When I first started gardening I used to re-pot all the seconds, because I felt bad just letting them die. But that just led to an overabundance of seedlings and not enough space in the garden for all the plants. So I've become a bit more of a realist, and I'm no longer afraid to "thin the herd".


I did plant a few varieties not on my master list. I figured that my Dad would want a Brandywine tomato for his garden, and I'll swap out a few peppers on the list with others if they all germinate.

Anyway, we are now waiting with great anticipation the arrival of the first little sprouts. Then it's out to the grow rack and under the lights until planting in the garden day arrives!

By the way - if anybody wants a plant or two, I can re-pot the seconds and send them along. Just let me know!

Here's the list of varieties...

Tomatoes
Amish Paste
Green Zebra
Gold Medal
Japanese Trifele Black
Nyagous
Roma
White Beauty

Peppers
Ancho Gigantea
Jalepeno
Marconi Red
Napolean Sweet
Orange Bell
Purple Beauty
Quadrato Asti Giallo
Wisconsin Lakes

The "spare varieties" are as follows;

For Tomatoes, Czech Bush, Italian Heirloom and the Brandywine.

For Peppers, Buran, Chervena Chushka, Chocolate Beauty, and Hot Portugal

Prayers for a good growing season!

More Later

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Sounds YUMMY! Good luck!