Saturday, November 13, 2010

Conversations with a Six Year Old

Recently I have been turning our garden bounty of sugar pumpkins into puree to be frozen or used on yummy Autumnal things. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, and for two mornings in a row now, pumpkin pancakes. We are going a little pumpkin crazy here these days, and I suspect that with nine more pumpkins left to butcher, roast and puree, we will be enjoying pumpkiny things for months to come.

So as I was cooking breakfast this morning, my six year old boy and my two year old girl were goofing around at the table. The noise level increased to the place where I could not hear myself think. So I turned to them and said "Quiet children! You are being too crazy at the table. Please calm down!"

My two year old said "OK Daddy!"

My six year old stared at me. I turned back to the stove, and in an instant he was making the Very Loud Noise again.

"STOP!" I said tersely.

Again with the stare. I turned around to flip the pumpkin pancakes and said,
"Man! Did I say that in English? I should only have to ask you once!"

Without missing a beat, he said,

"What? I couldn't understand you. What are you saying?"

Which of course made me chuckle and his Mom laugh out loud.

So I said, "It's like I'm speaking a foreign language to you sometimes, Boyo!"

And he responded, "Oh Dad, I'm not ruining language for you."

Which made the grown ups laugh even harder!

Has the communication breakdown already begun!

More Later

No comments: