Monday, September 3, 2012

It's All Downhill From Here

I recently celebrated my 41st birthday.  Not long after that I visited my doc to check on my hip, which has been bugging me a lot lately.

And by bugging, I mean being so painful after a training run that I couldn't run again for weeks.  My triathlon season was non-existent because of it, so consequently I have not done much training in the other disciplines. 

So finally I went to my doc to see what was up.  I was expecting a torn tendon or something, but x-rays showed something else.

Arthritis.

What?  I said to her.  I'm only 41!?!  How do I have arthritis?  And only in one hip? What?

Yeah, so I'm now that "old" man with the arthritic hip.  She gave me a script for some souped up NSAID's, and if that doesn't help, we'll move on to steroid shots.  If all else fails we just replace the thing.  Sounds easy peasy, huh.

Well, the meds are doing ok.  I can walk pretty well again, and the constant grinding ache that was there has been tamed a bit.  But I have a feeling my triathlon days are numbered.  Or at least the solo tri's. 

Turns out I can still swim like a fish, so I'm looking into doing some distance swims.  5K.  10K.  Maybe the Alcatraz swim or a swim around the Statue of Liberty someday.  Heck, maybe I'll swim the Mississippi some day.  Or the English Channel!

Speaking of which, this month I am entered in an English Channel swim at the Dan (gym).  I'll log each swim and try to get the total mileage by the end of the month.  More on that later.

As for the arthritis diagnosis.  Well.  I'm not that old, and no arthritis pain is going to stop me, so I'll do what I need to for the treatment and prevention of it getting any worse.  Until then, anybody wanna do the "run" part of some triathlons next season?

More Later

No comments: