Monday, November 17, 2008

The Neighborhood Supply Drive Experiment part II

As was stated in the last post, the Lakota are having a rough go of things. I felt the need to do something.

So I'm going to try and set up a Neighborhood Supply Drive. Last I heard, they needed blankets, diapers, water. Basic things. I know that at my house we've got a couple extra blankets lying around. I'd imagine that in a middle class 'hood such as mine, many families might have one or two lying around that they don't really ever use.

My goal is to collect them and send them to the Lakota via One Spirit. Along with the blankets, I'm going to encourage my neighbors to donate anything else they can spare. Hats, mittens, gloves, coats, boots... whatever. I have a hard time believing that the other houses in this hood don't have a surplus of some of these things. And my neighbors are pretty good folks. I'm betting that if they knew of the plight of the Lakota, they might be willing to step up and help out.

My challenge is to get other people in other neighborhoods to start a supply drive of their own. I know that the neighborhood I grew up in would probably be able to rustle up some good blankets and gear. And I have other friends and family that could try it in their neighborhoods.

I'll be calling and e-mailing those of you I know personally in the next few days. This is just a heads up for those of you that read this blog. Interested in participating? Let's see what happens when one person joins up with a bunch of others. I'll bet we could do some serious good.

More Later

No comments: