Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Floor Show, Part Two

We listen to a wide variety of music at our house. Most of it, as most music is, relates in some way to our lives, our experiences.

When I was a Marine, we had a training exercise out in the Mojave desert around 29 Palms. One of my jobs that summer was to keep a generator running so we had some electricity to run the firing computers, so we could keep shooting well into the night.

Well, that old generator was a big pain in the posterior, and would often just stop running for no good reason. Now, I'm no mechanic, and for the life of me I can't remember what I did to get it restarted, other than pulling on some levers, or flipping some switches, or pushing some buttons. I was probably doing more harm than good. But for whatever reason, it would mercifully restart for me. Now, the old generator was also exceptionally loud, and thus was kept a good deal away from our site. I also tried to sleep at a distance, so that I could, you know, actually sleep. But every time it broke down, I'd pull my boots on and run across the desert to get it going again. After a time I was so tired that I just hauled my cot and sleeping bag to within a few paces and crashed there.

As so often happens with me, I had a couple of songs in my head at those times. One was Clapton singing "Layla" (you got me on my knees, oh Layla, I'm begging darlin' please) which I named that generator as I silently begged it to restart. The other was Cat Stevens' "Moon Shadow". Because at night, in the desert, miles from anything, there were no lights. None. And getting up to run across the desert to start the generator, the only light I had to see by was the light of the moon. I think it was my second or third walk back to my cot that I noticed my moon shadow diligently following me. That song has reminded me of those youthful days in the Corps ever since.

So naturally, we have a compilation CD of favorite songs that was playing the other day, when "Moon Shadow" came on. The Boyo has listened to it a few times now, and when asked about the song says this...

"Oh, that's the song about losing body parts!"

??? After laughing heartily, I had the sudden realization that I didn't know what that song actually meant! But I think he's got it pretty close. See?

"I'm being followed by a moon shadow
moon shadow-moon shadow
leaping and hopping on a moon shadow
moon shadow-moon shadow

and if I ever lose my hands
lose my plough, lose my land
oh, if I ever lose my hands
oh, well...
I won’t have to work no more

and if I ever lose my eyes
If my colours all run dry
yes, if I ever lose my eyes
oh well …
I won't have to cry no more.

yes, I'm being followed by a moon shadow
moon shadow - moon shadow
leaping and hopping on a moon shadow
moon shadow - moon shadow

and if I ever lose my legs
I won't moan and I won't beg
oh if I ever lose my legs
oh well...
I won't have to walk no more

And if I ever lose my mouth
all my teeth, north and south
yes, if I ever lose my mouth
oh well...
I won't have to talk...

Did it take long to find me
I ask the faithful light
Ooh did it take long to find me
And are you going to stay the night

I'm being followed by a moon shadow
moon shadow - moon shadow
leaping and hopping on a moon shadow
moon shadow - moon shadow

moon shadow - moon shadow
moon shadow - moon shadow"

Moon Shadow - Cat Stevens

What the heck IS that song about?

More Later

No comments: