Monday, December 22, 2008



The kiddos and the Wife already played this game, and I thought I could dodge the bullet. But somehow it found me with a vengeance. At the ER we call it "N/V/D" for Nausea/Vomiting/Diarrhea. Coupled with this fun is a bout of weirdness that is Uvulitis. A virus that has infected my Uvula (the little dangly thing at the back of your throat) and made it swell. This gives me the feeling of always having something right in the back of my throat to swallow, or be choked by, or something to be coughed up like a hairball.

I developed that over last week. It blew up on Friday with a sore throat that made swallowing saliva feel an awful lot like what I would imagine drinking part molten, part hardened glass would feel like. Burning and cutting and stabbing pains that nearly made me cry. So from Friday to Sunday I had a grand total of three mugs of tepid "hot" chocolate, a bowl of beef broth, also tepid temperature, and a little bowl of tomato soup from Panera, usually a favorite, but made brutal by the acidic quality found in tomatoes. I did have a few chunks of bread as well.

Sunday night, my throat started feeling pretty good, and I had a bit of water for fun. I was glad to be feeling like I might actually be able to eat something before work on Monday night. I stayed up late last night getting switched around for my night shift, and fell asleep for the first time in days not trying to hack up and spit out my uvula.

The Boyo woke me this morning wanting breakfast. I swung my legs out of bed and knew right away that something was terribly, terribly wrong. Instead of my usual morning routines, I ran to the bathroom and seemingly exploded from every orifice. The Boyo knocked on the door and asked if I was alright. I think he was having flashbacks to last week when he did much the same thing.

Needless to say, I have spent today in bed, and sitting in the big green chair catching up on electronic correspondence. Typing, the movement of my fingers, is the least nauseating thing I can do right now. And with the computer on my lap, it discourages the Boyo from climbing on. I really don't want to give this bug back to anyone.


Hoping it clears out by Christmas, as this is the first Christmas Eve/ Christmas Day that the Wife and I have had off together in six years, since before we were married. We've actually been talking about some Christmas Traditions that don't involve one off us heading off to work! It would be a shame for N/V/D to be the new tradition.


This too, shall pass.

More Later


Sharon said...

I am so sorry you feel so miserable! Sounds like what Dad and I have been juggling the past couple weeks. I'm sure this "lovely" weather doesn't help either.
Please take care of yourself...TRY to get some rest. Love you!

clan martinez said...

'Tis the season! Get better soon!