Monday, June 16, 2008

The weekend flew by

Fall behind, catch up. It's a vicious cycle really. I slept all day Friday and worked that night, gathering a few more interesting stories in my life as a medic. One of my co-workers generously took my call time on Saturday morning, so I went home, slept a few hours and had a nice few hours with my family. That is when I was not sleeping or fighting with my allergies.

Allergies, for those who are blessed to not suffer from them, are miserable. Imagine a world where someone has taken an air hose and blown air into your sinuses until they are raw. Then picture all of the mucus you've ever had during every cold you can remember flowing from your head, usually on an hourly basis. Add to the fun eyes that feel as if the salt and sand trucks have visited your face and coated your eyeballs with their loads. Along with a healthy dose of poison ivy or oak or some other such itch producing plant. Then you are almost... almost... where most allergy sufferers begin their day.

There are medications, of course, for allergies. And in the TV commercials, they always show miserable people popping a pill and suddenly smiling and climbing mountains and such. In reality, they take some of the edge off of some of the symptoms, leaving you feeling like you just have a miserable head cold. Not exactly the time to be climbing mountains.

Anyway. Sunday was Father's day, and it was delightful. After going unconscious around 7:30 the night before thanks to work and allergies, I woke at 4am and took our 7 week old daughter from my wife so the latter could get a little sleep in a bed. A few hours later, when we were all up and at 'em, we went to church and had Chinese for lunch (my favorite food). Then came presents. A long awaited movie from my son, a Lakota/English dictionary from my daughter, and some gardener soap from my wife. Big present of the day was a new chainsaw, and a good one at that. Best present of the day was just spending time with all of those responsible for making me a father, and being extremely grateful for their presence in my world.

There is nothing like being a father. Feeling constantly inadequate for the job of raising a little person to be a good big person, feeling in awe of their mom, who seems to be able to balance that task and many others with great aplomb. Feeling so much joy in the laughter and antics of my offspring, and that evolutionary drive to protect and provide for my clan. For all of the opportunities I could have had as a single person, I wouldn't trade any of my family life for even the best of them. In growing up, I learned to be a little selfish for my own wants and needs. Now I am selfish for my family. It is a different world, this being a dad. And I love it.

More Later

No comments: