Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Dog Shoba


My Dog Shoba was a black German Shepherd. She was beautiful and soulful. She never judged, even when we did crazy things. She never left me for something better, though I often wondered why. She was my constant companion for over a decade. March 23rd, Easter Sunday, I found her leg swollen and sore. She couldn't stand on her own without pain. I took her to the vet first thing on the 24th. X-ray showed the beginning of bone cancer. Around 5:30 that afternoon she was gone.

She'll need many entries to capture a fraction of what she meant to me.

Then there's work. I respect and admire many whom I work with. Of them, one is a blogger here, and a writer of no small talent. She and I share a few common traits. Profession, depression (though mine is a speck compared to the plank in her eye), similar grandmothers, night shift talks. It seems she's involved in some great Internet project to blog every single day. While I have not the savvy for joining groups and navigating my way around this virtual world, I do think that writing daily might be a fun exercise to get my brain functioning. Or at the very least, clear some of the crap out of that attic so I can have some space to work in.

I made a promise to Shoba once. Long ago, on a frozen Wisconsin night, when we were huddled together for warmth under four blankets because I had forgotten (again) to have the damn fuel oil tank filled, I promised her that someday I would write about her so that people would know of her. This seems a logical place for that. Shoba would be proud, I think. Not just because she loved me without question. But because her grasp of the English language was so much greater than my own, it would do me well to practice.

So for Shoba, Karen, Steph, Dad, Jen and the other writers in my life...I'll practice by blogging every day this year. Today, the 3rd of June 2008 will be my New Year Day. And it is resolved to at least try to stick to this project!

So tired after two nights of work, that my brain cannot seem to stay focused on a topic. This is more like the ramblings of the insane. Just what you want in your paramedic when you're having an emergency. But by blogging now, I've succeeded in completing Day 1 of this blog adventure.

Don't know who would read this. Not sure whether I should care or not. If nothing else, I'll have a record of the year. So much going on, it would be nice to have something to look back upon. Here's a few things to look forward to in future posts.

More about Shoba Marie, the greatest dog to ever live.
Starting a business.
Being a father.
Being a husband.
Life with peripheral friendships.
Gardening and eating veggies.
Flight.
Dreams.
Imaginings.
Life as a medic.
Depression and insecurities.

Too tired to think. must rise and do something else, or fall into a deep sleep.

More Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did I not realize that you were blogging until YESTERDAY? You forgot our Friends-ly banter. (HA! See what I did there?)

Do you mind if I link to you from my blog? I understand if not, because of privacy and such. But dude, this is the INTERWEB. Nothing is sacred.

I heart you and you are definitely one of the coolest people I've ever met.