Sunday, June 8, 2008

Our First Baseball Game


Today we went to a baseball game between the St. Paul Saints and the Wichita Wingnuts. I've never been to a 'big league' game. I guess I still haven't, but it was the next best thing! Now, I'm not really a huge sports fan. I like watching highlight reels on TV, as the actual games are never quite interesting enough to hold my attention for too long. I'm also quite selective about the highlight reels. Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, some Olympic events. Those are alright. But unlike so many of my American male counterparts, I can't stand NASCAR. It seems utterly pointless and wasteful for a bunch of cars to drive around in circles all day. I've been told I'd like it more if I went to a race. Well, I do standbys at local races, and they not only bore me to tears, but give me a pounding headache to boot.


I thought it would be the same way going to a live game of any of the sports I do like, but much to my surprise, I rather enjoyed myself! It could be that we only stayed for six innings. Or that I spent the second and third innings standing in line for food. We had General Admission seating, but traveling with a six week old and a four year old with a broken leg tends to slow us down these days. When we arrived, we were a little late. We spent the first inning trying to find seats in the overcrowded General Admission bleachers, and some of the second trying to find an employee. When we finally found one, she informed us that after the third inning, the reserved seats were up for grabs. So we made our way over to the pricey seats and found an empty row four rows up from home plate! Great seats!


The Saints stadium folks do a good job of entertaining between innings and such. That was part of the fun too. Very amusing characters to entertain us, lots of very enthusiastic fans. The hot dogs were tasty and the lemonade was very refreshing!


We left in the middle of the bottom of the sixth, none the worse for wear, and still not fully caring about the game of baseball. But at least with an appreciation for watching the games live. It's something I'd actually consider doing again! We're going to look into our local triple A team too. Maybe even get a shirt with the logo!


More Later


No comments: