Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Should we stay or should we go?

I should have been sleeping this afternoon. But a couple of things had happened. My wife had mentioned that someone had had the popcorn coating on their ceiling removed, and that if we were to do that, we may as well vault the thing as well. Then I saw in one of my stained glass magazines a mold for creating your own stepping stones, etc. I imagined that perhaps there would be a mold for stones that could delineate between lawn and landscape around the house. So when I tried to go back to sleep to prepare for tonight's shift, I spent the time imagining what home improvements I would want to undertake if we planned on being in the house for a time.

Soon, I had envisioned decks and patios, vaulted ceilings and awesome landscaping. A backyard that became a summer kitchen/dining room/family room space. A back hill that was useable by us along with the turkey's, deer and various wildlife from the woods.

We have talked about moving more into the 'country' since before we were married. We bought our house with the thought that in four or five years we would 'upgrade' to a country place. In the process, we've both really come to like the house. The trouble starts when we consider renovations and such. If we put a lot of money into the house only to move, then we miss out living in the neat house. But if we don't put money into it, we won't be able to sell it for a reasonable amount. I've even postponed planting raspberry plants because we 'may be moving in a year or two'. Tonight we talked about what it would be like to stay in this house for another ten or fifteen years, doing the upgrades and renovations that we want over time and living in it as well. We are nothing if not really good dreamers, so in no time we had a list of 'to do's' that were either really needed or really fun/cool.

So we are sleeping on the idea of actually sticking around for a time. Making pro/con lists for the decisions, and kicking around an order for what projects to tackle when.

It is really fun to have someone to kick things around with like my wife. She's a great dreamer, but unlike me, is also capable of organizing those thoughts and make them much more probable!

Anyway, Thanks for the support from those of you reading who have been so encouraging with your comments. Welcome to my world.

More Later

No comments: