Thursday, June 12, 2008

Holy Backtracking Batman!

NM






So, by my own rules, I need to post for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Today was covered by the last post, but Friday is approaching rapidly! This could get ugly if I put things off much longer!

So... Monday.


Monday I was originally scheduled to work a 3pm to 3am shift. But one of our medics got appendicitis and I was called a few days before and asked if I could do an 11am to 11pm shift with call until 3am. No problem!

Then on Sunday night my boss called and asked if I could come in at 7am instead. It seems that the town I work in was flooding, and things were hitting the fan. Again, it was not really a problem.

I woke at 4am, showered, dressed and went upstairs to kiss my wife and kids. I saw my nice new camera sitting on the counter, but decided not to take it, as I was just going to work! Big mistake. I was diverted going into work through town, and crossed over the river. It was higher than I had ever seen it! Would have been amazing pictures. Grr.

The day was mostly uneventful. We had to cross a bridge that was closed to everything but emergency vehicles. The bridge washed away a few hours later. That was about as close to 'danger' as I got. I was stationed at the hospital, which declared a 'code yellow' or disaster, for the entire 16 hours I was on. My gratitude and respect goes to those who were out filling sandbags and evacuating folks who needed it. Those are the heroes of the day.

Guess I'll sign off now and wait until past the midnight hour to work on Tuesday and Wednesday. Only ten more minutes, but since I'm at work and 12 is 12, it is lunchtime for me!


More Later

No comments: