Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Welding

NM


I've been welding the past few days. It is a new skill, and I'm not very good yet. But I am improving! I think.


I'm making tomato cages out of rebar. It has been actually quite rewarding to weld together a jig for bending the bar and cutting and welding the various parts together into something functional.


Of course there are lessons I've learned along the way. Mostly common sense stuff. So here's a list, for any other wanna be self taught welders.


1. A class in welding may not be a bad idea. I have not done this yet, save for welding workshops at the EAA Oshkosh Airventure air show.


2. No matter how hot a day it is, do not weld barefoot. Or in sandals. Or in shorts. The only problem with shorts is having little spatters of molten metal slip in between your shoe and skin. I'd say sock, but it melts through that like butter, and BAM, right into your skin. long jeans, leather apron and big welders gloves are a must.


3. When making a jig to hold parts to weld together, think twice before using wood. As I weld, the wood tends to catch fire. Fortunately I have learned to have a bucket of water on hand filled from my rain barrels.


4. (This is from my blacksmithing days) Even if the metal is black, it is NOT cooled off.


5. Always wear the helmet thingy that blocks the light. I have not messed up on this yet, but had a guy in the ER a while back that did. Really messed up his eyes.


I've been having a really fun time with it, although it is hot and sweaty work. Makes me wish I had a forge so I could do some smithing again. That was fun too. Someday maybe.


More Later

No comments: